Saturday, March 09, 2013

Saturday Morning Brier Hangover

Jacobs vs Gushue. That will be your 3 - 4 game in this year's Brier. After a late night watching the Martin / Howard game and the dramatic Manitoba / BC finish, I'm up early and still feeling the effects of all that action last night. What a Brier it has been! First, Martin winning that game against Howard..what an excellent game. But then, after Martin sat at 7 - 4, he needed BC to win against Manitoba, unable to anything but watch and hope. And then an extra end! Who says there is no drama in curling! The entire arena was charged but in the end, it was Stoughton pulling it out (he will advance to the 1 - 2 game against Howard) and the Old Bear's chances were over. I could not help but feel for Martin, who came back from 1 - 4 to win 6 straight. An excellent accomplishment in itself but it turns out Martin had one loss too many. It would have been an incredible story to have Martin come back and get to a final but it was not to be.

But, the upside is that both Jacobs and Gushue have made the playoffs and will play the 3 - 4 game tonight. I am torn for sure. I cannot help but want to see Jacobs win a Brier being that they are a Northern Ontario team, but on the other hand, I have been a Gushue fan since his first Brier in 2003. How could I abandon him now? It will be tough to see either one of these teams lose. What a juxtaposition!

The crowd was wild last night at Rexall Place in Edmonton. I cannot remember another time when everyone had to wait until the last game on the ice was over to decide the full playoff picture, and that game being in an extra end.

I could not help but think about how far TV curling has come over the years. It's the brilliant broadcasting of the TSN crew that helps enhance this viewing experience but the players themselves complete the picture. Players that play at this level have come so far in the game that spectacular shots are the norm. Whoever said that watching curling is like watching paint dry said so in absolute ignorance. If any of these people were at the Austin house last night (just myself and Annie there) would certainly have a different opinion this morning. I just about took the roof off the house when Gushue beat Quebec and then during last night's game (and drama), my house was just as charged as Rexall Center itself. I am not sure how Annie puts up with my shot by shot rants and raves but God bless her, she has endured me over the years and she is truly the one that I enjoy watching games with the most. We do have a blast watching TV curling together. Watching the Roaring game is definitely a piece of common ground where we can go and get lost in the moment(s).

And when Monday morning comes and the Brier is over, my Brier hangover will be bigger than most other years, and although I will lament the ending of the greatest tournament in curling, I will have watched one of the greatest Briers ever. If you can count all the great games that were televised, then you will indeed be good at counting because there were lots and it's not over yet. More drama to follow!

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic

2 comments:

Neufelds said...

Thanks for blogging. We enjoy it all!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Team Jacobs. The only downside is that we won't see him and Snapper at the Closing!
Al Gemmell