Monday, March 11, 2013

Jacobs Wins It!

Team Northern Ontario. The new Canadian Curling kings! This is a great day for Northern Ontario Curling and this squad did it in fine style. And this crew is a great example of how hard work and dedication to a goal can pay off. They played well all week and peaked in the playoffs.

Now the question remains, can they win the worlds. If they play like they did during the playoffs, the answer is definitely yes. I'm stoked to watch them on the world stage.

And what of Team Gushue? Well, they certainly had a good run and though they ended up 4th, losing the Bronze medal game, they played well and lost squeakers so all in all, the Gush had a good week and I was happy with the way they played.

So, getting back to Team Jacobs, not only are the sights set on winning the worlds, I am sure the Olympic Games are also a huge possibility. Knowing this squad, they will continue to practice hard and they will give all they have to get there. Kudos to Team Jacobs for an excellent showing!

To end on a kind of philosophical note, I couldn't help but think about Stoughton while I watched his implosion last night. I think by seeing Howard lose and then Stoughton getting thumped in the final, what I really witnessed was the next generation of great curlers move through. Let's face it, it happens all the time. The Howards, Martin s and Stoughtons of this curling world have all accomplished great things in this sport and have been on top for a long time, but there are always other teams coming up through that will eventually take over the top positions. Look at Mike McEwen and John Epping. They continue to be there in the  mix but just fall short of the mark but eventually, they make it through and they become top teams. I believe this is where it is at for Jacobs.

At any rate, it was an awesome brier. Lots of close, exciting games and a big win for Jacobs, By the way, you will recall I picked Team Jacobs to win the Brier (even though my 4 play off teams were not correct...Martin was shocker) so this year, I am 2 for 2 in picking the winners for the STOH and the Brier. Hmmmm, I'm having a pretty good year myself....now, if I could only translate that into curling on the ice......

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In far away Oz, we still follow our GAME. and are absolutely thrilled for Jacobs team - such a boost to Northern Ontario curling, and shows what hard work, belief and committment will do. And never forget the coach - Tom Coulterman is a class act and in a class of his own. A nice bottle of Oz red wine was our celebration for all of them.
Maymar and Al