Friday, February 07, 2014

STOH Playoff Stage Set

Chelsea Carey...Team Manitoba. I did  not predict them in a 1 - 2 game but there you have it. What a week this squad has had  9 - 2...certainly nothing to sneeze at. This squad has played excellent but they better hang on to that because they will be facing the Homan powerhouse tonight and that crew is on fire. 11 - 0 in this Scotties and 10 - 1 in last years Scotties makes this team a force to be reckoned with.

The 3 - 4 game will feature Alberta and Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan had a shot at the 1 - 2 game but with the loss to Sarah Koltun and her Territories rink, she had to settle for the 3 - 4. All in all though, not too shabby.

And how about that Alberta rink. Great showing this year with an impressive 8 - 3 record. Joanne Courtney, third for this crew has been excellent. What a sweeper...leave her alone and I am sure she could start melting the ice.

Disappointing run for the Newfie gals. Starting off strong (pardon the pun) with a 4 - 1 record, the bottom came out of er' with the next 6 consecutive losses. I'm sure that will give this able squad something to work on for next year.

And what happened to Heather Smith and her Bluenosers? I expected much more from them but it was not to be. Back to the drawing board (once again, pardon the pun) for this crew. Heather struggled with draw weight this week and it cost dearly.

Loved watching the youngsters from the Territories. Not the greatest record but these young ladies were certainly crowd favorites. I hope beyond hope that they can find a great sponsor and get out there on the WCT. I hope they make it back next year.

And then there's Team New Brunswick and  Bunny Eyes. Boy, I just like this team so much but there were costly misses during the round robin that kept her at a 6 - 5 record. Once again, if these gals could find a good sponsor and get out on the WCT, I think they would be awesome.

And here's a thought...Kristy MacDonald, third for Team Carey. Now 5 months pregnant and curling up a storm. She would be 7 months at the Worlds. Would this be a hindrance to her curling performance? Since I have no experience with being pregnant, I cannot answer that question but I'm thinking it would be difficult. I mean, I have trouble curling after I have eaten a big meal and am stuffed...I just can't see me being effective carrying around a 5 - 7 lb bundle of joy. But what do I know.

Absolutely loved the BC team, Van Osch. I rooted for them so much and would have been over the moon to see them in a playoff spot. But it was not to be but boy, they had an excellent showing. And what's more, their fifth played more than I have ever seen an alternate play...in three different positions during the week. What a great player this Patti Knezevic is. The epitome of curling ambidexterity.

BIG PLUS: No more North American Van Lines commercials with the guys carrying the old TV with Russ Howard on it. Won't miss those commercials at all. No one can say they didn't get their money's worth out of the commercial!

2014 Sochi: I watched part of the Opening Ceremonies and managed to catch a glimpse of Brad Jacobs and Ryan Fry. How wonderful a feeling to be an Olympic Athlete and out there marching with the rest of Team Canada. Talk about living the dream. If they play to their potential, they will be "golden".

In the Northern Ontario Mens Provincials, Blind River's Stepahne Lemiex sits at 0 - 4 as I type this. But don't let that number fool you...they have played some tough games and lost squeakers. If this squad stays together, they cannot help but be stronger. This is a great team...no doubt about it.\

Locally, the season rolls on at the BRCC.

SUPER-IMPROVED CURLER: Helene Rancourt. Helene has a great style and makes alot of shots. If she played more, she would be too much for the modern curler! And with her excellent attitude, she would lend balance to any squad.

GREAT SHOT-MAKER: Marshall Chow. Marshall is another one of those guys that are brimming with potential. He is an excellent shot-maker. If he curled more, there would be no holding him back.

MY EQUAL AS A CURLING CHRONIC: Al Viel. Awesome curler and awesome guy on and off the ice. Al loves the game and plays as much as he possibly can. He could be my double..even though he has more hair.

FUN ON THE ICE: Chris Zagar. May not win alot of games, but he's got game and he knows how to enjoy himself out on the ice.

So that's it for now. Tonight's 1 - 2 game promises to be a barnburner. I have to admit that I am rooting for Homan. I would just love to see these awesome young ladies get back to a Worlds and dominate and come home with the gold. But they will have to remain hot.....it's like Flip Wilson said (and I know I dated myself...and if you get this, you're dated too!) "When you're hot, you're hot and when you're not, you're not!"

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic





No comments: