Friday, January 31, 2014

Fasten Your Seat Belt

Bunny eyes. Andrea Crawford of Team New Brunswick. Certainly no stranger to the STOH, but she will have to bring her A game and maintain it while competing in Montreal. And so it begins...the stretch of TV curling that will last for the next couple of months. With the start of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Montreal this weekend, the Olympics will be right on its heels and then throw in a Brier, a couple of Grand Slams and a Worlds, you have a recipe for an awesome run of TV curling.

And as I type this current diatribe, I myself am waiting for my ride to pick me up and we will be heading to Thessalon for our Senior Mens Regional playdowns. It's an exciting time for me. This year, in particular, I am feeling confident that I am with a solid squad and we have a shot at getting to a provincial championship. Three of the six teams competing get to go so by the numbers, we have a 50 / 50 chance. Throw in some skill, and hey, you never know....

And as the teams get to Montreal today, I am sure there are lots of squads also brimming with anticipation. But here are my picks:

Homan wins it all in a final against either Sweeting or Lawton.

Allison Ross: PQ   I'm not sure about these gals but they did beat out Eve Belisle to get to the STOH. First time at a big show and not much exposure to big crowds and WCT events so my guess is they are in tough. Can they get past Wednesday...the starts will all have to align.

Kim Dolan: PEI   No stranger to the STOH but zero exposure on the tour and I think this will hurt them over the long haul. I think they suffer from the same thing that hampers alot of east coast teams...lots of talent but a lack of sponsorship dollars and minimal exposure to WCT events which in the end will make it tough to get past Wednesday.

Stephanie Lawton: SK. Tough team, lots of experience. Been around for a while now and I'm sure thier expectations are high. Certainly the potential to win it all but they will have to bring it! Absolutely a spot in the playoffs and maybe the final.

Chelsea Carey: MB.   I like this team but they are not seasoned enough yet to win it all. Certainly a good shot at a playoff spot. I mean let's face it, they had to beat alot of good teams to get out of Manitoba but it will be a long road. I have watched them play a few times and noticed alot of small strategy errors that hurt them. I'll be interested to see where they sit at the end of the week.

Heather Smith: NS.   Veteran team...it is difficult not to like them. They have the potential to get on a roll and make the play offs and I sincerely hope they do. They will have to be consistent during the entire week.

Kesa Van Osch: BC. I watched them play their semi-final and final in the provincials. These young ladies are straight out of the juniors and they beat Kelly Scott to get here. No exposure to the big teams or the WCT in general. I cannot see them getting past Wednesday...I think it will be all too new to them. Big crowds, TV...they will have to reign it all in and stay focused.

Allison Flaxey: ON. I like this team for a couple of reasons. One, they played well to get out of Ontario and it is obvious that they have worked hard to get here. Also, this is Caleb Flaxey's wife...from the old Jacobs team when they were just starting out. Also...Al and Maymar's niece plays on this team so how could I not like them? First time at the big show and I think they will be in tough but if they play like they played in the Ontario provincials, I can see them in a play off. Here's to hoping....

Valerie Sweeting: AB. This will be their second Scotties and what a year this squad is having. They will be tough to beat and I certainly see them around at the end of the week. In fact, this will be one of the teams to beat. Potential is there to win it all...they will have to keep playing well.

Andrea Crawford: NB  Been to the Scotties lots of times and I like her and her squad. Bunny eyes (among the nicest eyes in curling) is an excellent player and I would love to see them make the playoffs but for sure they will be in tough and will have to bring it to each and every game. Once again, here's to hoping.

Heather Strong: NL   No stranger to the STOH and an excellent player in her own right. I think that if Heather et al could find time and money to get to some WCT events, you would see a marked improvement in their performance at the STOH. Because I am a Newfoundlander, I will be rooting for them. They certainly have the potential to get to the playoffs...can they win it all...well, heck, remember Jack McDuff in '76....anything can happen!

Rachael Homan: CAN   No doubt the odds on favotites to win the STOH this year. Bar some kind of a cataclysm, this squad will be in the play offs at the end of the week, and if they are able to play to their potential, no doubt can win the whole thing easily. It has not been a stellar year for this crew, but that can change in a New York minute.

So, kick back and settle in for a winter full of curling beginning with the STOH. One thing is for sure, I'll be Rockin' On!

In local BRCC news, looks like the Thursday Mens has quite the bottleneck going on near the top of the leaderboard. Looks to me that there is Team Mitchell, the Molson Exers (Team Rouselle....lost their first game of the second half last night but still at the top), Team Austin (yes, the Newfie Bullet), Team Viel and Team Villeneuve. According to my calculations, all these teams are within a point or two of each other. There are other teams having great seasons too and it there is still lots of games to go. Playoffs will be interesting this year.

GREAT CONTRIBUTORS: Transcan Service Center and Cantech Construction. Both these companies have made donations to the Bantam ladies (Team Hayley Horton) and also to the BRCC Ladies Spiel. Rick Roberts and Dennis Roberts are excellent guys and the BRCC is fortunate to have them as members. And they are both curling chronics as well...so I cannot help but have a soft spot for them. With Dennis, in particular, he is a former teammate who I enjoyed playing with and he is also my mechanic. So as much as I trusted him with his shots, I also trust him with my ride!  Thanks alot for all you have done guys!

ANOTHER GREAT CONTRIBUTOR: Mary Shamas. Dr Mary pays for the Saturday morning breakfast for the BRCC Ladies Spiel. She has been doing this for a number of years now. Thanks alot Mary!

So that's it, I'm going to stop it there and head upstairs and put some underarm deodorant on. I anticipate sweeping my fanny off this weekend so I'll be looking to maximize on the brush strokes and minimize the BO!

Stay tuned! And to Maymar and Al....keep checkin' our linescores and keep sendin' positive energy our way!

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic





No comments: