Monday, December 09, 2013

Jacobs Onward to Sochi

So, I was wrong about Howard. Who was that impostor! With a record of 2 - 5, who would have thought it! But, it was not in the cards for the Howard squad and that became obvious midweek and by the end of the week, it was all Jacobs. Going into the final game with an outstanding 7 - 0 record, nobody was more over the moon than I was.

These guys were lights out! All week. And in the end, it was Team Jacobs heading to the Olympics. And they deserve it too. All the hard work and dedication...this is what it yields. A great day for Soo Curlers and a great day for Northern Ontario curling. And yes Maymar, I did a couple of cartwheels around the living room when the final game was over.

I can remember playing against Jacobs a few times on the Northern Ontario Curling Tour and in regional playdowns. While we sat at our table having a quick beverage before going on the ice, the boys were at the bar choking down a quick protein shake. And that is the difference. They made a commitment and they made some goals and achieved success. What a wonderful accomplishment for this young crew! And I will go on to say that Ryan Fry made such a great addition to this squad. As well, I was really happy to see Caleb Flaxey as their fifth since he was there in the beginning with these guys. And kudos to Tom Coulterman, the coach of Team Jacobs. You can be sure that Tom has brought lots to this squad and I am happy to see that he is a part of this Olympic dream.

I was looking at the teams going to the Olympics from all the other countries. These are all teams that Jacobs has beaten for the most part and I fully expect that these guys will medal. In fact, a gold medal is a very real possibility for these guys.

In other news, Maymar and Al Gemmell played in the US National Mixed Doubles in Wisconsin just last week. I was away in Barrie, working for the week but I thought of them several times and wondered how they were making out. As it was, they went 4 - 3. Not enough for a berth in the finals but certainly an outstanding showing all the same. It is difficult not to be proud of this couple. They have made so many worthwhile contributions to curling over the years, the list would be too long to mention. We, at the BRCC, should be so proud to have them associated with our club. Two absolutely first class people and certainly huge assets to our little club.

It's nice to be back and I'll be having my first game in over a week tonight. I'm stoked. I am not a fan of being away from the Roaring Game for any length of time and certainly I miss the BRCC and my curling pals when I am on the road. Not a surprise really...the BRCC is an awesome club and after the Xmas break, there will be lots of action at the club. The Ladies, The Mixed and the Mens Closing all loom ahead...and we all know what kind of a good time come with those events....and if you don't, well...you need to join curling and find out!

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic

No comments: