Monday, September 30, 2013

Junior Curlers...The Future of the Roaring Game

This is Cathlia Ward. You might remember her from an article I wrote about her last year. If you don't, she was on the junior ladies team that represented Canada at the Junior Worlds in Russia (last year). When I look at this picture I see two things: one, I see the lovely young daughter of my good friend, Mark Ward (lead, Team Gushue @ 2003 Brier in Halifax) but more importantly, I see the future of curling.

You can make no mistake about it, the future of curling lies with our junior curlers (and that includes the little rockers and the bantams of this curling world). Just this past weekend, I had a conversation with a friend of mine about this very topic. It was his opinion that curling was destined to be a dying sport because fewer and fewer youths are playing curling. While he made some valid points, I tended to disagree with much of what he had to say. I'm sure curling organizations (such as the CCA) have recognized this and have been looking at strategies to market the Roaring Game to the younger generations. In the end, I think curling will be fine and it is young people like Cathlia that make me think that my confidence in curling's future is well-founded.

Cathlia is only 19 and is very much a "curling chronic"...just like me! Not only does she play competitively, but she also works with the Little Rockers at her club. And just recently, she is a curling scribe for the CCA. Impressive to say the least.

So, when you hear someone looking ahead at the plight of curling's future, think about people like Cathlia Ward and know that curling is actually going to be just fine.

You can read what Cathlia has to say by checking out this link:  http://www.curling.ca/blog/2013/09/23/inside-junior-curling-tales-of-a-curling-addict/

Or you find her on the CCA website:  Tales of a Curling Addict

Meanwhile, at the BRCC, there are only 2 spots left for the Iron Broom coming up this weekend. If you are on the fence, you best hop off it now and git yer cheque in! This promises to be an excellent spiel and don't forget, along with your 2 eight ends of curling as well as 18 holes of golf...you will also get a great supper and you just know that the dance will be quite the hootenanny as they always are at the BRCC. Get hold of Bob Villeneuve if you want in.

Leagues will start up on the 7th October. Haven't got your registration in yet? Please do it soon so you can secure your place in the leagues.

Al and Maymar Gemmell will be putting on a curling clinic this week,  Oct 2 and 3 (Wednesday / Thursday). The fee is only $15.00 and the instruction you get will be priceless. make a point of being there...for that price you just cannot miss!

In other news, I see Jacobs has once again qualifies in another tournament. They are playing the Point Optical in Saskatoon and the tournament wraps up today. Jacobs qualifies straight through the first event and looks to be poised to capture yet another title. Don't forget, Team Jacobs is currently the number one rated team in the world. Absolutely outstanding! I'm guessing I'll be seeing this crew at the Continental Cup in Vegas in January. Meanwhile, my beloved Gushue had a rough spiel and failed to qualify but they still are looking good and I think they will get to the Trials in Winnipeg out of Kitchener. At least I hope they do. Team Jacobs will also get to Winnipeg I'm thinking and gee, these guys have got game in the biggest kind of way. I can see them going all the way and representing Canada at the Olympics. I think alot of those other teams can see the same thing...no doubt they see Jacobs as a serious contender.

So that's it for now. Check out Cathlia's blog. She has a nice writing style and if you are a junior, there is an excellent role model. Heck, she's even a role model for me! I might be 52, but I'm never too old to learn something new, and this young lady has many worthwhile things to say!

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic


No comments: