Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wednesday Open 8 Ender

Yes, hippies sure are colorful people. And as hippie week continues at the BRCC, preparations are under way for the BRCC Ladies Woodstock Spiel coming up this weekend. I have no doubt you will see some very colorful hippies kickin' around the BRCC. Join in the fun and watch some good curling while you are at it.

There was some good curling last night at the Wednesday Open  Ender. All the sheets were full and some good games ensued.

Ice A: Hayley Horton vs John Hammond. The Horton team won this one by default BUT, they lent a player to the Hammond squad and went on to win a "Red Bum" Award. I am thinking the Hammond crew would make good hippies. I'm picturing John Hammond in a tie die shirt and sandals and I think yep, this look could work for him. He wins the "Hippie In Hiding" Award.

Ice B: Ryan Hagger vs Tom St Jules. WIN for Hagger. Big Daddy tried to mount a come back but it was not to be against the tough Hagger squad. And how about Ryan Hagger as a hippie. I think he would embrace the peace and love thing but I am positive he would not embrace the fashion. I mean it took a few years just to get him into a pair of curling pants so I'm thinking bell bottoms and a Chinese collar shirt are just a little bit OUTSIDE the box for him. He wins the "I'll Feel Like A Hippie But Don't Expect Me To Look Like One" Award.

Ice C: Vola Roberts vs Andrew Roberts. WIN for Roberts. Excellent game here for both teams. Close all the way through with Andrew having to make his last shot to secure the win. This Andrew Roberts crew could easily do the hippie thing. Andrew could easily trade his Carlos Santana hat for a headband and everybody would start flashing him a peace sign. Him and Natasha win the "Heavenly Hippie Match" Award.

Ice D: Glen Austin vs Warren Neufeld. WIN for Neufeld. The Wednesday Newfie Bullet was no match for the Neufeld crew (with Al Viel at the helm) last night and had to accept a "Red Bum" Award. I have look at myself and wonder how I would be as a hippie. I was around for the bell bottom age and I remember this guy having a Canadian Flag sewn into his pants to make the biggest bell bottoms you ever saw. I wanted a pair like oxygen. BUT, by the time I was old enough to have my fashion wants acknowledged (by my mother who bought my clothes), the bell bottom thing had ended and I missed it. I win the "Too Late For Hippiedom" Award but to my credit, I flash the peace sign on a regular basis so based on that, I should also win the "Latent Peacenik" Award.

So, that's how it played out for this Wednesday. Just a couple more days and the BRCC Lady hippies will take to the ice and the good times will begin. I have to hand it to the BRCC Ladies, they sure know how to plan and put on a good time. My regional playdowns (Senior Mens) are this weekend in Elliot Lake and I will miss alot of the action at the  BRCC. I hope I get to see a few games anyway.

Myself, Mike Landry, Dan Horton and Dennis Roberts will be playing this weekend in the Senior Mens. There are also 4 teams from the Soo playing in this and 2 out of the 5 teams will go on to the provincials.

And, the National (a Grand Slam) event will be broadcast on Sportsnet today and over the weekend. It's being held in Port Hawkesbury, NS. So, this will be a curling weekend for sure!

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck to you all in EL. Keep your focus and your cool, may your rocks slide clean and true. Al and Maymar