Friday, July 11, 2014

A Curling Story

In 1973, in Labrador City, NL, Sue Anne Bartlett was a Newfoundland curling icon. Curling out of the Carol Curling Club, she had been to several Scotts and had more to come. While she was doing this, there were a group of kids playing road hockey on a regular basis during those long, cold winter days (when not in school). Road hockey was a big deal back then...so big, in fact, that different neighborhoods played against each other and it was pretty competitive.

So one October day (yes, there was lots of snow in October...after all...we are talking about Labrador) while a road hockey game was going on, a group of kids were walking up the road. The one road hockey player stopped to ask these kids where they were headed. They replied, "We're going to the curling club to try out curling". So, with that, the kid who made the inquiry threw his hockey stick in the snowbank and went with those other kids to see what this curling thing was all about. The kid had heard about curling...even watched a bit of the Air Canada Silver Broom on television (in black and white of course).

When they got to the club, they were given the opportunity to try it out. There were lots of other kids there, both from Labrador City and Wabush. After some instruction, they even played a game. These kids were hooked..it was awesome. New friendships were struck and a junior league started up. In fact, junior curling was after school three days a week...curl as much as you want was the message. And curl they did.

I guess you have guessed by now that I was the kid who threw his stick into the bank.

A love affair began that day. I fell in love with curling and spent all my time at it. My parents were happy at this new found pastime...after all, I could have been out getting into trouble and causing them grief. Instead, I was at the curling club where they knew where I was and also knew I was not up to no good! They bought me a green pair of Bauer shoes (yikes!!) and a corn broom (polkadot...remember those?) Eventually, I played alot of competitive curling and it got so we got to play in the adult leagues. We played in all the family bonspiels and that is how I spent my elementary and high school years.

When I went away to university, I curled alot less but still played ion tournaments held a couple times a year between the different residences...a bit of a hiatus really but curling was always in my blood. After I graduated, I headed west to Lloydminster, AB where I played one  night a week in the Oilmen's League. It was great fun and I enjoyed this night out. I met lots of new people and I have to say, it was a blast.

Eventually, I headed back east and ended up in Toronto where I did not curl for a few years. Another hiatus...but curling was always there, just waiting to be rediscovered...which I did once I moved to Blind River. I started up again playing in the Mixed League with Francois and Shirley Lemieux...and once again, my love for the game was rekindled. Work brought me to Barrie for a decade and I played there with zeal...3 or 4 nights a week. Once again, new friendships and lots and lots of curling.

Eventually, we made our way back to Blind River and without hesitation, we rejoined the BRCC where we have been ever since. I have to say, I have made many great friends at the BRCC and of all the places that I have played, the BRCC is tops!! The fun level is off the charts.

So what is the point of this? Well, other than being a story that I am sharing with you, I want to impress how the game of curling created so many new and lasting friendships over the years. It was an excellent way to be involved in something worthwhile and it has been a game that has stayed with me for my lifetime. I imagine I will curl until I can 't which I hope is a long time yet.

I bet there are lots of people that can share similar stories. Many of them are my friends. That is why I advocate curling to others. Because it is such a great social activity. That is why it is important for all of us to advocate curling to others. To keep the game alive and to give your friends the pleasure of the excellent experience that curling delivers.

And if you aspire to be competitive, there is a place for that as well...and I can tell you from experience, there is nothing quite like the adrenaline rush that comes from a tight game...shot for shot.

Food for thought.

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we can start a link with some reward for the best story:
Headline: "How I started in curling."
Could have some good tales.